Monday, August 13, 2012

Kindergarten Send Off


Well, the highly anticipated day arrived for Miller man. Can you see his excitement?.... The day that separates the preschoolers from the grade school kids. As soon as the alarm buzzed {waaay to early}, I whispered Good Morning in little man's ear to remind him that the bus would be picking him up. He smiled and said, "oh yeah"! Nothing perks this boy up from the grogginess of a deep slumber than the thought of the big yellow bus coming just for him.

Luckily I snapped a few first day photos on Kindergarten Eve to avoid the stress and darkness. We sailed through his morning routine in record speed and it was out the door in a flash. I really do feel like it is my rite as a mommy to drive my first born to school on the first day, but I couldn't dash his high hope dreams of the bus on the first day. That combined with the fact that they get the most help with the bus during the first week made my decision. Part of Kindergarten is letting go just a little more. Nothing like the sobering thought of sending your boy on the bus to release just a little more control.

He managed a whirl around the driveway with his Razor scooter anxiously waiting for his ride.

My heart swelled with pride over just how grown up my little man has become. I held it together only because I'm confident that he is ready. His excitement was contagious!
 
My boys...
Then we heard the bus and saw glimpses of flashing signals through the trees. Big yellow made it's way to the driveway. The doors opened and we waved to Ms. Sharon. The next few minutes were in slow motion as Miller's years flashed before me. We've worked so hard to get to this day.

He paused briefly before sitting with C & H. Kindergarten boys sit together.


Then I did just what every other craaaaazy helicopter Kindergarten mom does. I loaded up in my car to deliver his nap mat to school {and secretly spy} on my little man's morning routine. My fears of him not making it to his room were alleviated. He arrived safely after all happily adjusted and chatting with a friend. No pictures in the room:( I didn't want to upset the routine. Kissed my boy on the cheek...and I was off. {sigh}
The days are long and the years are short!

1 comment:

The Cibulas said...

Such a great play by play. This will be so wonderful to look back on one day. Thanks for helping me get through my emotionally turbulent start:0