Tuesday, August 14, 2012

first day recap


Miller did come home on Monday. I envisioned him all throughout the day in that kindergarten classroom. All teachers know that the first day of school is really about getting them there safely, feeding them, and sending them home the correct way.
 Before I knew it, it was lunchtime, specials, snack time and pack-up time {waa-hoo}! I was praying for him on and off throughout the day. He got off the bus and stood in awe in the driveway that big yellow drove him home. We had to stand at full attention watching the bus venture off and then he ducked to watch it disappear through the trees on its afternoon path. He is MOST fascinated with his transportation this year.  I think he's satisfied that he's part of the elementary club that gets to ride the bus. It's kind of a big.deal.

Being the details girl that I am, I has a zillion questions about his day. Who did you sit with at lunch? Did you write your name today? Was snack in the morning or in the afternoon? Tell me about the playground.  I hung unto every word that Miller divulged. Grandmama was listening to. We love to hear him ramble on.  He has been trained to share ALL that he knows. I know his wife will be thankful that at a young age, I'm training him to deliver the details.

Miller shared that he met two friends named H & J.  Ms. N took a picture of him and the frame said,"I'm a Kindergartner". He played with a toy yellow bus {I can only imagine that he was modeling his bus driver's route to school}. P.E. was his favorite part of the day & they played a "pop the bubble" chasing game. We chatted about his classroom rules. Miller explained what I should include in his lunch the next day. Apparently, Trader Joe's apple bars are the coveted snack in Kindergarten. Miller requested a nap after our heart to heart. We located his blue blankie, and he did just that!
Yes, blankie...one foot in elementary school & one foot still in preschool:)

crazy kid.

Miller was so proud of his yellow wrist band to help him locate the bus. He shared that it is never to be removed. The assistant principal said you can sleep, eat, and even take a bath in it. And, it's been somewhere on his body ever since.

It was a day of new beginnings for all of us.  We were up before the chickens{way too early}.  Eliza Kate was solo. She roamed room to room asking, "Where's Miller?" Miss Paula's sympathy playdate got her mind off of missing him. And, most importantly, a new beginning for Miller.  I am SO proud of my first born for bravely  heading off to school for the first time on his very own without knowing one person. And, relieved that I did it too. I sent him off out of my comfort zone to brave the world of Kindergarten.


Wishing all our K buddies a very happy first week of school!
Time flies!! 

3 comments:

The Gaymons said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Cibulas said...

What an awesome day Miller! What an incredible personality to go through life with!!

Okay, now if you can just teach me how to get all of those details out of a boy! And our poor girls, Maggie can''t figure out what to do now that she doesn't see Jack until after her nap:(

The Fokens Family said...

Didn't mean to delete that..ugh!
Thanks Ashley! Can't wait to see your girls first days!!