Thursday, October 31, 2013

Mrs K's Pumpkin Centers

"Pumpkin Centers in Mrs. K's class" was penciled in on my calendar for a whole month before Halloween. Both Miller and mommy looked at the calendar hanging up with great anticipation for a fun Halloween morning. Mrs. K did all of the set up with decorations she reuses every Halloween. This is her special fall celebration that she plans every year for her techies.  The moms just showed up with donations in hand ready to party:)   She saved all the craziness including wacky hair day for one fell swoop. That's my kind of planning:)

Ms. Nikki, the other room mom snapped the cutest of group pictures. For that, I'm so thankful.  I snagged it from our class Shutterfly share site--couldn't resist.
 During picture time, I was in the janitor's closet filling up a large tub with hose water. It wasn't the best view of me {picture it---bottoms up shuffling my feet  down 2 hallways with sloshing water towards the class:)  It was actually quite hysterical:) Miller demonstrated a feat of first grade strength to his class, by moving the tub towards the tile. That macho, macho little man of mine. Gosh, I love him! 

That Mrs. K is something else. Everytime we leave her classroom, Nikki and I text each other about just how blessed we are to have her this year. She is truly a God send! I snapped a quick picture of the Pumpkin poem writing and tasting center. From pumpkin pie play dough playing, to bumpy gourd descriptions--these techies were busy on Halloween morning.

Here Mrs. K was leading Miller's group through the pumpkin Science experiment center. The techies had to predict if the medium sized pumpkin would sink or float by submerging in into a tub of water. That poor pumpkin was measured and weighed..and rolled:) And, then proudly set back up on my front porch to be carved before Halloween.

Here's my wacky green haired "Trick or Treat" boy {swoon}. What's a party without decorating pumpkin shaped cookies?
This turned out blurry, but it's one of my very favorite memories of our morning together.  Mrs. K turns on music during transition time between the centers. The kids & Mrs. K danced their way to another rotation. How cute is she dancing with her spooky headpiece? And, what a creative way for those wiggly worms to get their sillies out without being disruptive.
I was stationed at the mini pumpkin and gourd Venn diagram center. Oh what fun I had leading the groups through comparing and contrasting gourd attributes. Miller has come a long way sharing me from his preschool days of tears when I'd come in to help.  He's got the whole sharing thing conquered now.

Here's his center partner, A. The techies were so busy that we ran out of time. Our hour flew by with all kinds of pumpkin themed learning activities. Thankful that there are still opportunities to volunteer as he's climbing the grades in elementary school. A big thanks to Mrs. K for a fabulous, fall morning in first.

No comments: