We signed Miller up for Upward Soccer this fall. His last experience on the soccer field was nearly two years ago playing for the Cherokee Y. Soccer is great for him in that he loves to run. Coach Todd built in lots of lap running into our Tuesday night practices which whipped our crazy boy into shape. There was even a system in place exchanging laps around the field for goofing off sillies at practice. Miller learned pretty quickly that playing on the Wizard team was serious business.
Miller seemed to get more excited this season about a team sport. I love the program in that it's parent friendly with healthy competition. I mean, ah hem, he's only s-i-x! I will say that out of all the sports we've attempted in his short little life, this by far was his personal best season. First grade is clicking with our boy. He's maturing in some wonderful ways with his listening skills and self control. Now, his attention span still could use a tune up. And, that's what still trips him up on the field.
Miller really seemed to get the hang of goalie this season and felt confident with his skills in the net.
His teammates were first and second grade boys--so I was thrilled at his progress playing with a mostly older crew. It will work out in his favor next year being one of the older players.
Three of our neighborhood friends ended up in the same league, but on different teams. A little friendly competition is always fun:) As the season wore on, we did witness some complaining from our boy on the last few Saturday mornings. I think the novelty of the sport lost its awe, but he always perked up around game time.
Eliza Kate loved soccer season too! There were three other little sisters to chase and run around with. She loves being part of the cheering section for Miller. At practice, you would find EK shouting "Go Miller" from the sidelines with each lap around the goal. Maybe, we have a future cheerleader in our family?
What I remember most about some of our defeats was Miller's attitude after the game. He's just as happy go lucky with losing. I'm wondering when his competitive drive in academics will carry over into sports. For now, I'm loving that he's just learning the love of the game.



No comments:
Post a Comment