Sunday, December 25, 2011

Loving Family

Later in the morning, we loaded the sleigh and rode on over to Grandmama & Poppy's house for another Christmas gathering with family. A fun surprise for the kiddos &( mommy too) waited up on the landing of the stairs...a doll house. I tucked away doll house ideas for the future, but hadn't done the research yet. It was so nice to be surprised with the most adorable play house.

It was all Poppy. He spoiled Grandmama with her own 'Home for the Holidays' mansion. They've been searching for a toy to engage EK at their house, and they surely did just that!  It was fun for all the ladies to gather round the Loving Family house and snap on the exterior Christmas decorations. It doesn't matter how old you are...girls of all ages love playing with dolls.
It was a  complete joy to set up the rooms together. Eliza Kate is learning the joy of decorating at her young age.  Setting up house and selecting furniture held her interest. Once she found the baby crib and carriage, she put the baby to "night, night".

Miller was captured by the blinking & singing Christmas tree. They both were dancing to some festive tunes all while Eliza Kate was swinging her hips to the music. Of course, I had to referee who got to push the music button. Our world is filled with toy sharing these days and learning how to take turns. It's a hard lesson. Big brother was up to all kinds of teasing tricks & shenanigans like playing peek a boo through the front door and then shutting it closed. Doll houses can be entertaining for four year old boys..who knew?

The Loving Family was all set to move into their home. Everything was in place & we got it looking picture perfect. I love how the interior of the house has removable Christmas decorations for each room complete with a packing box for the attic...stop.it. :) Even the bed linens and pillows are reversible with Christmas decor on one side. The other side flips with an everyday floral. This loving family is living in a palace with custom decor. She must have hired a decorator. There is something wrong when your dollhouse has finer appointments than your own home!

This gift brought back a wave of nostalgia reflecting on my own Victorian doll house as a little girl. Grandmama and Poppy built a wooden house for me for Christmas one year. Grandmama glued siding to the house, hand painted and shingled it for months getting ready for Christmas morning.  I just love a handmade gift to pass down through the family.

 When I woke up on Christmas morning, it was so wonderful to enjoy the finished product. Grandmama took extra care to decorate her labor of love with wreaths on all the windows and garland on the front porch. I'm hoping that as we pass it down to Eliza Kate in the future that we can furnish it together.

Until then, she is going to have a BIG time with imaginative play at Grandmamas.
XOXO, Grandmama. We are convinced you are playing with the dollhouse even when we are not there.

2 comments:

The Gaymons said...

So funny!! My girls have the regular Loving Family Dollhouse, and I have to admit, that I tend to play with, I mean straighten the furniture up, quite a bit. Your mom and I would get along great!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the Fokens!

The Harris Family said...

Jeff laughs because I have to rearrange the dollhouse several times a day, after Bradley insists on throwing all of the people and furniture down the stairs! He thinks i enjoy playing with it... Maybe so :)