Friday, December 16, 2011

santa visit 2011

The pictures tell the story.As you can see, our Santa session this year turned into the classic toddler "screaming session" I knew in the back of my mind that this is how Eliza Kate would react to the jolly old man. There was a glimmer of hope for a "happy visit" a few days before our appointment when Eliza Kate repeatedly requested to watch the DVD of last year's Santa session.  Her whole face lit up at the sight of Santa in line. She shouted with great excitement, "Santa" and waved. Everything was picture perfect until it came time to gently place the princess in St, Nick's lap. Her joyous greeting turned into shock as if to say, "You're leaving me with him?" She was not going to have it!
 A fully arched back and loud shrills of disappointment rang throughout the corridors of the mall. It was definitely going to be an ugly cry with no hope of recovery:) Well, us ugly as she gets in her adorable Patton leather Mary Jane's.
I must say though, that I think the hilarious part of the whole experience was that Miller sat with perfect posture, hands neatly positioned, hair combed, shirt tucked in.... grinning throughout his little sister's apocalyptic melt down. He didn't even look her direction. He kept his eyes on the camera for the photographer. I was so very proud of his disposition. I think the star struck have.to.be.good.for.Santa thing did the trick. The promise of a candy cane reward was a great incentive too!

The tantrum continued to evolve with her arms stretched out begging for, "Mommy, daddy, Grandmama, Poppy..." She went ahead and went through a whole list of names who could rescue her.. Do you feel sorry for our girly yet?

With a brief intermission to give all of our ears a break, Eliza Kate paused to look back up at Santa again. And, then the crying resumed. Not even a waving Elmo from the photographer distracted her from her misery. It was sooo entertaining!

Santa wasn't even phased one bit by the loud rings of toddler screaming in his ears. So, I swooped into rescue our girly in her Christmassy attire to the safe distance in mommy's arms before they started recording. I can only handle so much unhappiness. 

Miller was thrilled to have his own chatterbox session with Santa Claus. I'm hoping I'll get to hear their little whisper session before Christmas Eve. Last year, he threw in a few surprises that we didnt' know about. He sure did occupy a lot of time with such an important man.

So, here's to future smiley Santa visits. We'll remember this screaming session for sure, It will make a great memory in Eliza Kate's rehearsal video montage if they're still doing those when she gets married!

Counting down the days until this man lands on our roof.

1 comment:

The Cibulas said...

Oh my! She's as red as her dress! Maggie put on a pretty good show too, but I think EK wins!