Friday, December 30, 2011

wrapping up vacation

I didn't know how badly we needed our winter break until we really settled into vacation mode the week after Christmas. This year it was nice to have Landon join us during our winter "hibernation" period from our normal routine. Our Sunday School responsibilities let up, there was nothing to wrap, no last minute entree to cook, no meals to deliver, and absolutely no pressure to be anywhere. On top of that, mommy was on break from her morning tutoring job. It was awesome to carve out family time and just have togetherness. It gave us an opportunity to reflect as a family about just how crazy life can get in the swing of things. We re-evaluated some of our responsibilities for sure. It was a luxury to sleep in until 8:00 am. No car pool alarm or early morning packing to get to. Best of all, no late night lunch packing for Miller man. Long winter naps in the afternoon were an added bonus. Landon worked from home a few days &  had the pleasure of  joining us on a couple family field trips. We are loving our family passes to IMAGINE IT.
Eliza Kate and Landon experienced their inaugural visit to the Children's Museum downtown. It was a memorable first visit for her. Dropping her morning nap has opened up a whole new world of activities to experience. She knew just what to do with the miniature shopping cart. I know she was happy to be the driver instead of the passenger. Little mommy picked out a great variety of food from the well stocked shelves. I love how adult mommy chores that we don't always look forward to become favorite play pass times to our little ones. She is practicing the art of homemaking at 20 months &  it is precious to watch. The imagination of a girl is such a completely different world to me as I've been knee deep in Matchbox cars, and train sets. Tripping over monster trucks that play rock and roll & stubbing my big toe on Legos has been my boy mom life for several years. Wearing both hats is a blessing. Just altogether different.

 As expected, It was a zoo inside. It was nice to get out for a bit and play inside.
Of course, Miller loved hopping from exhibit to exhibit. He has ADD at these museums jumping all around and not staying in one place...drives me nuts. There were two responsible adults on this venture, and for that I was grateful! He was having a ball.
Milking cows was udderly cool. He just sits and smiles now assuming I want to capture every moment. Cute!

We're at a museum teeming with chaos & she plops down in a quiet nook to read. I never can figure that one out, but I'm glad she shares mommy's passion for children's literature.

Miller was monkeying around playing puppet master. I love how kid's can truly learn through playing and use their unique imaginations.

Then we went magnet fishing in the watering hole. This is always a favorite of Millers. I was so proud of him for patiently waiting his turn. There was a line on this day for the "fishing excursion".

Eliza Kate wants to do everything that Miller does. Its made her grow and mature in a lot of ways beyond what Miller was capable of at this age. She makes sure that every aspect of her life is equitable to her big brother. Raincoat smock for Miller...Raincoat smock for Eliza Kate...Fishing pole for Miller...Fishing pole for Eliza Kate. The list goes on and on. I love her for it too! EK surely sticks up for herself and holds her ground with big brother's bossiness. He looks our for her at the same time though. It's an interesting dynamic.

The big catch.

She abandoned the pole and just started treated the chlorinated pond like an indoor splash table. Yay, for me!

We capped off the morning at the train table. Great times on our Christmas vacation.
Here's to many more happy visits in 2012!

No comments: