Sunday, July 26, 2009

Rollin' Down the River

That's the famous Tina Turner tune that I was humming to our fun Sunday adventure on the Ocoee River. Ducktown, TN was the destination of choice for our fun little get away. We joined Kelli, Chanel, Katie and Chris for a fun river excursion on the whitewater rapids in Tennesee.

Landon and I have rafted the Class 4-5 Chatooga River in our fun single days with friends, so I thought to myself this will be a cinch. Little did I know that we would be rafting down the course they used for the 1996 Olympics. Holey Moley were we in for a rough ride. My goal is to always stay in the raft no matter what the cost. I taught the girls how to dig those water shoes tightly under the raft to avoid a man overboard situation. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a thrill seeking, adrenalin rush of a ride the whole course. There were times that we could brave the 60 degree waters for a quick swim. Those relaxing moments were interrupted quickly by jumping back in the raft to conquer the next drop. Our guide was fantastic and shouted paddling orders to us during the fast moving drops to keep us safe. The only thing hurting on the bus ride back to camp were my cheeks from laughing the day away! I'm sure my arms will be aching tomorrow and Landon's already complaining as he took the brunt of the water at the front of the raft. We're already scoping out our next river trip. Oh, and those people in the picture...never met them in my life. Just wanted you to get a visual of our fun helmets, oars, and fashionable life vests. I'll post a picture of our tour as soon as it's up!

1 comment:

The Morrows said...

proud of you... who knew you could be so adventurous! don't tell andrew- ha ha!