Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Lil' Shrimp


Miller is officially a "little shrimp" in the big kid sport of swimmers. His class group name is called "The Shrimps" or should I say "The Shrimp" ?? I had to laugh at the class name because no one wants to be referred to as a puny little shrimp. Miller doesn't know the difference and is proud to be at the bottom of the food chain in the world of swimming for now. We hope that he will build skills over time to be considered something much larger and more respected in the ocean.


On Tuesdays this summer, we are learning to swim with Sophia and Jack. Sophia has this swimming thing down. She can already swim to the side of the pool and go completely under water without holding on to her mommy at 14 months! It's so much fun to have little pals to swim with.


Today was our first class and the focus was on "kick.. kicking" and blowing bubbles. Miller did o.k. with the kicking, but I need to teach Miller how to blow air outside of the water first before we can master bubble making in the water. I was a little nervous about how Miller would react to swimming instruction since it's more work than just splashing around in the neighborhood pool. After strapping on his bubble float and dipping his toes in the water, he smiled with glee and splashed every little shrimper in sight. He kept dunking his head under water and putting his face on the surface to get a good look at my toes. He's a water baby already. My favorite part of the class was watching the babies slide down the slide and drop off into the water at the end of class. My biceps need a rest from all that heavy lifting.... I hope the next class is as fun for him as today!


2 comments:

The Cibulas said...

We had a blast swimming with you two today, even though you cant tell by the expression on Jack's face in that picture. Maybe next time we'll get a shot with smiles!

The Fokens Family said...

I tried to make the picture small enough so you wouldn't notice that! The other picture that we took, Miller looked drugged with his eyes at half mass!! We'll get some more good shots later.
E