Thursday, May 22, 2008

Dramatic Day


Have you ever had one of those days where events happen that just keep getting worse? Today was just one of "those days". Upon waking this morning, I dropped my cell phone in the toilet. Uggh...but no biggie since my antennae was missing anyway. It's just inconvenient.

The major drama all started this afternoon when Miller took a fall on our back patio and hit his forehead. Now he's done this before but today it swelled immediately and he was screaming and crying for over 45 minutes or so. This was no goose egg....this was a dinosaur egg!! It was purple and very painful looking. Miller just couldn't be consoled...he didn't want to be held, cuddled, rocked. Miller just wanted to lay on the floor and roll around and cry. That's when I knew something was not quite right. I watched him for an hour before I called the doc. They were on lunch break anyway. After I called the nurse, she recommended that we come in because it was larger than a two inch egg. Now I'm not a nurse...just a mom trying my best to decide when it is appropriate to take him in. It's so hard to make the best judgement, but when it's your child I always air on the side of caution. So off we went....



I know what you're thinking...that's not sooo bad he fell and bumped his head. Well this is where the story took a turn for the worse. Miller and I loaded the car up and proceeded to the doctor. We were stopped at a stoplight on Towne Lake Parkway when out of the blue a lady in her huge Expedition rear ended us from behind jolting my car forward. Miller screamed from the shock of it all right away. We both whip lashed forward a bit, but not enough for the air bags to release.



So here I am in shock, wheels turning of what to do next with my screaming boy...Do I get her information and just hurry to make my appointment?? My gut instinct said to stay put and get the paramedics to check Miller over. Well that's what happened...A whole caravan of police, ambulances and fire fighters all came out to check out little Miller. They were quite confused when they saw his large swollen head...I had to explain it all and chalk it up to our already dramatic day. They gave me the option of driving him to the ER or taking the ambulance...It didn't take much for me to decide to go ahead and drive him to Kennestone. I first had to wait for the Police to write up the report. Another twist to all the drama, I notice the woman who hit me staggering when she was talking to me. The cop pulled me aside and said go ahead and drive to the hospital and that a special unit was going to come out and test the woman for DUI.


Uggh! Landon met me at the hospital. Fortunately we didn't have to wait very long. They took an x-ray of his head and checked out his neck & he was just fine. Sigh of relief! God was so good in protecting us today.

I just got off the phone with the deputy who called to check on Miller and she confirmed that the woman was handcuffed, arrested and booked for DUI...so scarey and it could have been much worse. We're just going to rest, take Ibuprofen and count our blessings. I'm watching Miller like a hawk so he doesn't fall hard again! Of course, I can't protect him from every slip but I'm thinking soft surfaces will suit us best for awhile. Oh the drama!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG -- I just have to say that we are thinking of you!

The Morrows said...

so scary! glad you two are ok- God was surely looking over you both. love you!

The Morrows said...

ok E- i've tried to update my comments/profile... did it work?

The Cibulas said...

How terrible! I will be thinking of you and little Miller. Thank God you are both safe! I hope tomorrow is better!