T-ball practice season is in full swing for Miller man. Our first soccer team sport was a great experience last fall, but we wanted to try T-ball for Miller this go around. I was a little nervous adding a practice during the week to Miller's 4 year old schedule. Our Wednesday and Thursday evenings are busy this spring. Dinner is rushed on these nights and we're lucky if everyone makes it out the door fed & wearing matching shoes and socks.
I'm stuck in the traditional line of thought that he is still very YOUNG. I don't want him to be over scheduled and our family stressed out with weeknight busyness. Whatever happened to impromptu baseball games on weeknights in the neighborhood? No coaches, just peer problem solving. That's how kiddos use to learn the game.

Our Thursday night practice session has proved just the opposite of stress. Miller is excited to burn off his rambunctious energy out on the field. Now that the weather is pretty, we all enjoy our field time as a family.
I can already tell that his goal is to meet and make great pals being the social butterfly that he is. He's already bonded with a couple of new friends on the team. One of the things that I love about Miller is that he tries new things without anxiety. Unlike his momma at this age, he can walk into a room or team as a stranger with confidence and very little social anxiety. I think I know where he inherited his little confidence from;)
We signed him up for the 5U Upward T-ball at Grandmama and Poppy's church. It's proving to be a great decision. It's not intensely competitive for this age group, and I love that the program incorporates scripture & a closing devotion time with the coaches. Love that!
There's not a huge focus on who wins the game. Landon doesn't like that aspect of the program as much. But, I assure him that there will be time for competition & winners and losers in the future. My goal this season is learning the game in a fun way.
I'm stuck in the traditional line of thought that he is still very YOUNG. I don't want him to be over scheduled and our family stressed out with weeknight busyness. Whatever happened to impromptu baseball games on weeknights in the neighborhood? No coaches, just peer problem solving. That's how kiddos use to learn the game.
Our Thursday night practice session has proved just the opposite of stress. Miller is excited to burn off his rambunctious energy out on the field. Now that the weather is pretty, we all enjoy our field time as a family.
I can already tell that his goal is to meet and make great pals being the social butterfly that he is. He's already bonded with a couple of new friends on the team. One of the things that I love about Miller is that he tries new things without anxiety. Unlike his momma at this age, he can walk into a room or team as a stranger with confidence and very little social anxiety. I think I know where he inherited his little confidence from;)
We signed him up for the 5U Upward T-ball at Grandmama and Poppy's church. It's proving to be a great decision. It's not intensely competitive for this age group, and I love that the program incorporates scripture & a closing devotion time with the coaches. Love that!
There's not a huge focus on who wins the game. Landon doesn't like that aspect of the program as much. But, I assure him that there will be time for competition & winners and losers in the future. My goal this season is learning the game in a fun way.
Our little slugger practicing grounders. Since it is instructional t-ball, the boys truly are all beginners. No Major League scholarship players yet. Every movement is thought out and they're working on hand eye coordination to be able to play the game.
Miller's doing a great job hitting the ball. He needs to work on throwing and catching. I foresee many catching drills in the backyard now that it is still light outside after dinner. Thank you daylight savings time.

He thinks he's a hot shot with his new glove and gear. We've just got to find him some black cleats as I end up scrubbing off his shoes after practice to get out the caked on GA red clay stains. I find great satisfaction from effective stain removal though.
The coaches labeled their practice shirts with tape and their names. We've only had two practices so we are all learning names.
He thinks he's a hot shot with his new glove and gear. We've just got to find him some black cleats as I end up scrubbing off his shoes after practice to get out the caked on GA red clay stains. I find great satisfaction from effective stain removal though.
The coaches labeled their practice shirts with tape and their names. We've only had two practices so we are all learning names.
Miller standing on base with his hands on his knees in ready position. This helps him focus on watching the ball!
A little strategy session with Coach Landon on first base...
So far, Miller is taking direction from Assistant Coach Landon very nicely. And, Coach Landon is being very patient teaching the game to the boys. I wasn't sure if Miller would share his daddy, but he's really maturing in that department the older he gets. Directions get very confusing with a "little Landon" player on the team;)
Miller is really over the moon to share this experience with his dad. I had to laugh during their team huddle when Miller was climbing all over his daddy. We're off to a great season so far. Counting down the days to the first game!
1 comment:
What a cutie in that outfit. Im not a huge fan of sports throughout the week. I think its hard on parents and kids. BUT I do think if the kids really enjoys it, that makes a world of difference.
Millers coaches look really hands on too and kids need that.
The track thing wont work for us because it was not hands on... to big.. and just not meant for smaller kids IMO. To many practices too and way to long.
So we are going with a shorter route and smaller group. Natural strides offers a 1 day a week 45 min class for kids and its only $10 for the entire month! Caleb had an awesome time this week and we look forward to doing it again next week. The coach was super hands on - just what we wanted :)
I think Taite tho would love something like baseball, hes our sports dude ;-) so maybe next year when we have some money hehe.
Post a Comment