Our second theatre movie experience was much more of a success. This go around, I was the most excited about the movie selection as it made me reminisce back to circa 1994... the original release year. Those were my good ole' babysitting days of curling up on the couch with the kiddos for a Saturday night VHS movie and popcorn. We invited Grandmama to join Miller man and momma for an afternoon at the movies. While in line to purchase the tickets Miller announced proudly to everyone that he was going to see "The Lion's Kings". He made sure to ask after viewing the movie poster, "Is this a girl's movie mom?" I explained that it was a crowd pleaser for both boys and girls. He seemed ok with that.
I was thinking it was going to be a packed house so we got there right on time to get our choice seat. Saturday matinees are popular for the preschool crowd, so I hear anyway. Surprisingly, we were the only lonely ones in the theatre until just right before the movie started. I'm slowly catching on to the etiquette of attending movies with kids. Avoid the credits, because it only adds to the length of time these little ones have to sit and be engaged.
Miller enjoyed the movie but still got a little squirmy mid way. I was whispering the plot in his ear to engage him more. We were also making predictions together to make a game out of the plot. Singing the familiar songs also did the trick. A few friends asked me if he was scared when the king died. Since, M man isn't overly sensitive about those kinds of things he did ok. Hooray for a day at the movies. Looking forward to more matinees with my little date.
The other rule of etiquette is to provide snacks....lots of snacks. At our last movie, we purchased theatre popcorn and candy. This go around grandmama came armed and dangerous with her movie going LARGE suitcase purse. She's up to all her old tricks. Gotta love it. I had to chuckle as this truly was how things were done when I was a little girl. No theatre popcorn for us. We got to eat ours out of brown paper bags after the movie started. This was before microwave popcorn bags. I remember waiting to open my canned soda during a noisy part as to not draw attention to my non soda fountain beverage;) One thing's for sure, Miller was happy as a clam getting to select snacks and candy out of his grandmama's traveling concession stand. That's a boy for ya. It's all about the food.

No comments:
Post a Comment