Sunday, September 4, 2011

first haircut

At 16 months, Eliza Kate got her first hair cut. I was trying to delay this distinct sign of being a toddler as long as I possibly could, but it was more than time for a great "shape up". Sweet girl has the blessing & curse of loose curls in the back of her hair. Curls are a beautiful blessing on humid days when her brunette locks cooperate & her waves respond in the perfect boing shape. However, dry days do not produce the best of hair days for Eliza Kate. On these days, her hair looks wild , crazy and mostly unmanaged.. The big bow and side swoop does wonders to camoflage the craziness, but taming her crown & glory was becoming quite the challenge. Not to mention incredibly time consuming when trying to get out the door.


The other big haircut delay was trying to schedule a block of time on the busy weekends when daddy could attend. He likes to go to first hair cuts and then after that, I'm on my own during the week with those appointments. The big day came on Labor Day weekend. Miller was thrilled that he could actually play with the toys at Kids Kuts and that little sister was the one stealing attention in the chair. Miller's really bonded to Miss Amanda at the salon, and she just so happens to get it right everytime. Not to mention, she really knows how to relate to kids. So when it came time for EK's first trim, I knew just who would work her scissor magic. She basically evened up the back and skimmed the sides so they could catch up in length with the back. Miss Amanda layered this girly's bangs ever so slightly so they would naturally fall in an organized swoop to the side.
I was ready to plop down this strawberry girly in a booster seat on the chair, when she spotted something more to her liking. With a swift finger point and lots of "uh-uh-uh's", she communicated that she'd much rather sit in the Toy Story blue car. I came armed with my bag of tricks, goldfish in the snack track, a book, and even lovey. Eliza Kate surprised me and was content watching cartoons on the small TV.  If you notice her lack of expression, I think she was overstimulated with everything going on. There's just so much to look at inside. Her temperament is so much more relaxed than Miller's at this age. Maybe it's that she's already loving her mini makeover. The after effect was ever so subtle, but we're well on our way to even, silky  toddler tresses.

Ta-da! Like I mentioned an overall clean up to her Farah Fawcett style wings.

All spruced up with bow in place ready to show off her new doo. Miller is so proud of his little sister. We all survived the "great shape up"!

1 comment:

The Cibulas said...

Awww..she looks BEAUTIFUL! Jack would have so jealous of that Toy Story Car!