
Presenting the Fokens' family gingerbread house established December 2010. We've learned a lot since our first construction together last year. Our big Ah-ha was constructing the house several hours before decoration time. The frosting needs time to set. We needed a firmer foundation to hang our candies on. This year, I was master builder during naptime.

What a difference a year makes. Our exterior designer had big plans for his house. It was all business putting just the right touches on his house. Miller had specific ideas about candy placement and just where I should squeeze the frosting. There were sprinkles, gumballs, M&M's, peppermint rounds, gumdrops and candy canes. Miller was like a kid in a candy store giddy with excitement.

I did give Miller my unsolicited opinion about the front of the house. After all, we wanted curb appeal for all our onlookers swinging by for Christmas. I ,of course, ran this by our master designer to get his OK. He liked my ideas!

When Landon had an idea about alternating colors of the gumballs on the roof, he was quickly shut down by Miller saying, "This is my creation, daddy." Who can argue with that?

I handled most of the glue like frosting. It didn't taste that good, but wow did it ever hold like glue. I was really impressed with our Target kit. I'll be purchasing this one again in future years.

Decorating takes intense concentration.

The little miss got in on all the action too after her late evening nap. Landon was too busy giving her his own sugar to have time for pictures. He is quite smitten with our littlest one. It won't be long before we'll have a his and hers gingerbread house. Sweet thing will be begging us for candy next year!

I had to laugh when Eliza Kate started reaching for the bowls of candy. Miller promptly removed her hand and said, "Na Na Na Na No!" Where has he heard this alliterative string of No's before? It sounded like an echo of me in the room.

Such a fun filled family night! We're loving our Christmas traditions.
1 comment:
Ahhh...the gingerbread house. This is our endeavor for tomorrow and I am semi-dreading it:) But, thanks for the pre-assemble tip! Yours is perfect!
Post a Comment