The littles knew that our beloved tradition of Gingerbread house decorating was on the horizon. They stared at the kit package for a solid week in anticipation for our annual decorating tradition. We seized the opportunity once Omi and Papa came into town. Poor Miller perked up after a Motrin induced pick me up long enough for our activity.
I've learned that a solid constructed house needs a few hours for the frosting to set before the candies go on. The kiddos wasted no time making grand plans for their candy placement. Miller chose a different train this year with three cargo cars. Eliza Kate was wow'ed by the Elf on the Shelf designed house, and was thrilled to find a special place for a gummy version of Mario to sit on her house.
I always add a few of our favorite candies in the mix to nibble on while frosted fingers anxiously reach for a sample. Red and green M&M's and red twizzlers were added to the kit selections this year. Sometimes the candies that come with the kits are less than desirable and very dried out.
Omi whipped up a quick batch of confectionery frosting to spread on the roof. There was a lot of surface area to cover on both creations and we flat squeezed out the remnants of our Wilton batch of frosting.
All aboard! Miller had big ideas and grand plans for his candy placement. My favorite memory is his ingenious idea for the train's coupler. Eliza Kate used the Twizzler strings to hang colored lights from the roof.
I posted this picture even though I look like a "train wreck". At this point, Miller had a fever going on 4 long days. And, Eliza Kate's finally broke the day our company arrived. Fixing my hair and applying lipstick was the least of my worries when the littles were under the weather;( Notice Miller's glossy, frozen look. He took a nap after this exertion of energy.
Here's to our Gingerbread houses of 2013. They were not made for human consumption after being sneezed & coughed on. Flu infected hands built these houses with love.
On a side note, I took Miller to the Minute Clinic on Christmas Eve and he did indeed get diagnosed with the flu. Honestly, I've never seen this boy so sick in his whole life.
Thank goodness on day 5 of his fever, we finally figured out what he had. Tamiflu to the rescue! This Christmas will forever be etched in our memories--First Christmas in the new house battling the flu--eek!
1 comment:
I knew before you even said it that Miller wasn't feeling well. He didn't look like his usual perky self. Poor guy and momma! Way to go making the best of it with christmas lights and gingerbread houses. I hope all was well by the 25th!! Merry Christmas Fokens!
Post a Comment