We spent the majority of December 24th in the kitchen.
I feel like the luckiest girl around to have landed in-laws and a husband who love to cook. They often hijack our kitchen for holiday meals. It's a Fokens family affair. They like cooking all of their traditional dishes, and I love to eat...so it's definitely a win. Between a last minute doctor's appointment for Miller and setting the table, it didn't leave much time for this mama to prepare a fancy Christmas Eve meal. Omi managed to whip up some fudge with a certain kitchen helper on Christmas Eve morning while I was attending to our poor Miller's illness. She's always up for a baking lesson with her Omi. This girl loves to stir the bowl and pour in the ingredients with perfection.
Here we are before dinner with a little Christmas love with my smocked angel. I'm enjoying the dress up bishop dress days with her. There's only a small window to squeeze in these sweet, smocked dresses. We'll stretch it out as long as she'll let me.
We hosted both sets of grandparents at our house for dinner. It was an Italian themed night with several varieties of Manicotti. Michael Bubles' Christmas album was our background music of choice:) Miller slept straight through dinner after his first dose of Tamiflu. He woke up fever free from another dose of Motrin. That poor boy just needed to get better by Christmas. After a long week of a fever, that became my only Christmas wish!
We commented that this home hasn't seen Christmas in years as the former owners celebrated Hanukkah. I added a kid's Christmas tree in our kitchen to spread the decorative love in every corner of our house. Feeling so very blessed to share Christmas with our extended family.
I love how Eliza Kate found my lap at the table after our early dinner to cozy up for a Christmas snuggle. She so proudly carried a tray of her fudge and offered all of the guests a sample. She's learning how to be a little hostess with the mostess.
We coaxed Miller to take a few family pictures by the tree after his snooze. If only I got around to tuck his shirt in his pants. That was the least of our worries at this point. One thing is for sure--we had a lot of nesting togetherness in the days leading up to Christmas. Sick kids force you to slow down.
Omi and Papa watched our crew while Landon and I snuck off for the Candlelight service at my parent's church. Grandmama and Poppy saved us seats for our Christmas Eve tradition. It was best for my mental health that I took the opportunity for the first time in a week to get out of the house.
This is how Miller felt about his babysitters for Christmas Eve. They cozied up for the Jesus Storybook Bible's version of the Christmas story. It was just before I left, that I clearly noticed a difference in Miller's behavior. My prayer for a fever free Christmas just might be answered.
Landon and I rushed home to carry on our feed the reindeer & cookie tradition for Santa. The littles were just returning from touring Christmas lights around our neighborhood.
Landon and I walked down to the cul de sac for a late night neighborhood party sans kiddos after spending a little time at home. There's nothing like the magical feeling of Christmas Eve! Santa and Mrs. Claus nibbled on M&M cookies at home before retiring for the evening. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.




1 comment:
Im on the edge of my seat...did Miller get well by Christmas morning? Hoping so! I guess I'll have to wait for the next post:)
Post a Comment