I've just recovered emotionally to even discuss the happenings of "The Ickies". It all went down on Sunday morning. I woke up EK at our usual 8:00 a.m. feeding to find a sweaty headed, hot little girl. At first, I thought I just over dressed or swaddled her at night, but after she soaked my shirt after her feeding I knew something just wasn't right. Sure enough, Eliza Kate had a fever.
To make a dramatic story short, we ended up at Children's Hospital for a long day. Poor baby had a 102 fever and had to endure fours sticks to find a vein in her arm for an IV. Newborns have the tiniest of veins that are hard to find. The nurses finally had to tape warming pads on her arms to get the blood flowing through her veins. This soothed EK to sleep along with a few pacifier dips of sugar water. Finally, using a red flashlight lamp to illuminate her wrists they found a winner!
After various tests, including getting catheterized for a urine sample, they narrowed it down to contracting big brother's virus. The doctor ruled out all the scariest of prognosis'. My mommy instincts told me that this was the diagnosis all along. We were relieved we bypassed the spinal tap to test for meningitis. After downing 4 ounces of Pedialyte, I was given the go ahead to nurse Eliza Kate as normal and praise God she kept it all down. Sure enough the virus passed within 24 hours. I have a feeling that this is par for the course for second siblings..catching everything that gets brought home from the playground and school. Now if I can just keep Miller from touching and kissing his baby sister, we'll have it made!
6 comments:
Poor baby and poor mama too! Sorry you had to go through that- there is nothing worse than watching a sick baby. Hang in there!
So scary! My girlfriend has a 4 month old and was just at Children's with his 104.7 fever! He wasn't quite so lucky...he had the spinal tap. But good news was that his was also just a virus...also second baby. Glad she's okay!! She is simply adorable!!
So glad you all survived! I know that was rough!
Oh my goodness! How scary to have such a little one sick like that! I am so thankful it wasn't serious and that you all made it back home.
Bless Miss Eliza Kate. Not to worry her immunity will be wonderful when she is finally off to school. It is so hard to sit by and watch the doctors and nurses perform their magic. Give her a kiss from the Campbells and hold her a little longer tonight. She deserves the extra time.
Wow, that must have been traumatic for both of you! Glad everything turned out well!
Post a Comment