Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hospital Highlights


Pictures say it best. Here's a quick recap of our first few days and nights at Kennestone.


I'm glad I can look back on this photo and laugh at my fake smile. Luckily Landon snapped this in between the very painful 5 minute apart contractions. This go around, I had to experience these intense contractions without an epidural as I awaited my spinal before surgery. An emergency c-section bumped us back 1 whole hour. I intently stared at the clock every five minutes until 8:00 pm wondering if I really could make it! SO much for strolling in pain free for my scheduled section.


Moments after Elizabeth Katherine made her screaming entrance into the world. This time, I was totally aware and felt undrugged to soak in every moment. At first glance at Eliza Kate, I immediately knew she was ours as she closely resembles Miller at birth. I was relieved to know that it really was a GIRL!! All of pink decorations were not in vain.

Eliza Kate did not like getting cleaned off. We anxiously awaited her stats. Landon asked the doctor 5 and 5? He was really wondering if she had five fingers on each hand and 5 toes on each foot. I misunderstood and thought this was her birth weight. I knew this girl had to be at least 7 pounds. At 7 pounds 6 ounces, she weighed 1 more ounce than her big bro at birth.



C-section moms can relate to the flurry of activity in the OR. There is a whole army full of people there working on you, and waiting on the baby. They let Landon film the entire event over the curtain! Landon's whole get-up cracks me up with the mask. He looked just like his dad in scrubs.

One of the most special parts about Eliza Kate's birthday, is that both sets of grandparents made it just in time to the hospital. We gave Landon's parents a four hour notice to drive down from Knoxville and we managed to find a neighbor to babysit Miller as he slept. Right as they wheeled me out of the OR with our new pink and blue swaddled babe on my chest, we spotted Landon's parents waiting on us at the end of the hallway. Then my parents arrived just as we got to our room. Perfect timing! The whole family stood around watching Eliza Kate's first bath as I looked on from the bed.
Landon is so happy to finally have his girl. This is the first of many father, daugher shots. Eliza Kate has him wrapped around her little finger already.

On Thursday, Big brother Miller came to the hospital to greet his new baby sis. He was bursting with excitement to hug and kiss the baby. He crawled right up onto the bed and said, "Hi, Eliza Kate". We were quickly reassured that he'll do just fine sharing the attention with our newest member. Miller even got to hold the little miss with assistance. He loves her so much, I'm afraid he might squish her. Can you spot her tiny head above his grasp? This photo warms my heart. He's in love already.




I was so proud of big brother's adaptability at the hospital...coming and going with Omi and Papa without a fuss. He would kiss me before he left each time and say, "Bye mom, see you later." Who knew my heart could love my two babies just the same?

After 3 long nights, in the hospital without much sleep at all, it was time to go home. No one can sleep in the hospital when they're constantly checking your blood pressure, temperature and checking in on the baby. It's an open door policy for nurses and the techs 24/7 with little regard to your sleep. Exhaustion hit me by day 2. Between welcoming family and visitors and healing from surgery, this momma wanted her own bed. We were more than ready to take Eliza Kate home.




Here's our little girl all dressed up in her going home smocked dress and much too big bonnet all ready for the big trek home. She woke up just in time to take in the sights and sounds outside of our room.
I forgot how little a newbie looks in the car seat. It swallowed her whole. EK looked so tiny all squished up in there. I love how her legs criss cross right underneath her with her feet crossed. She sits in the same cramped position as she was in the womb.



One last picture, before leaving the hospital. We have an almost identical picture of this with Miller. We're so thankful for our girl! Thank you Tracy for making and delivering our cutey sign.
Soon after, an assistant came with a wheel chair to wheel me out to the car. She was a little annoyed that I was standing by the door. I guess she thought I should still be in bed? If she could have only seen me climbing stairs slowly the next day.

Hope you enjoyed our little hospital tour. I wanted to record all the little details for posterity sake.

7 comments:

The Morrows said...

i'm so happy to get the details! can't wait for more pics of your beautiful girl! hope you are adjusting well to life at home. ps- can i come see you next week? i will be in atlanta and can leave the boys with mom and dad.... just let me know!

The Fokens Family said...

Oh wow...EK would love a visit from Auntie T! Call me!!

Melanie said...

Hey Erica and Landon! EK is beautiful and you look great Erica! So glad everything went well.
PS. I just got a job at Kennestone and was there interviewing and touring the unit the day you guys were there...if I had known, I'd have stopped in to say hey!
See ya soon!

The Cibulas said...

Okay,I just cried..what a beautiful story for a beautiful family. It brought back so many memories...we are so blessed to have our big boys and our baby girls. Im sure you will agree!

sjefferson said...

She is stunning! Good thing she's got a big brother to look out for her. ;) I can totally relate to the lack of sleep in the hospital! On Sunday morning the nurse came and asked our goals for the day and I quickly replied "Getting checked out!!!" Well, I hope you guys are adjusting well. Can't wait to see more pics!

The Gaymons said...

Congratulations! Eliza Kate is simply beautiful, and Mommy you survived your second c-section all the while looking as beautiful as ever! Hope you all are enjoying these first few weeks.

LegoLiams said...

Oh WOW!
BIGGEST HAPPIES THEY CAN EVER MAKE UPON YOU!
Congrats George and Erica!
Your new human is wonderfully and fearfully made. Blessings shower over you all!