Sunday, December 13, 2009

Gingerbread House

There's nothing like a warm bowl of homemade chili and a Christmas craft to make a day of rain with a toddler not so bad. Miller loves the traditional Gingerbread Man story, and repeats the famous one liner.."Run run as fast as you can, you can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man."

So when I saw one of my favorite children's authors newest holiday book at the book fair, I just had to grab it! We kicked off our craft reading a new twist to the traditional tale.

And then, it was house decorating time! Miller's eyes were as wide as saucers when I showed him the bare house all ready to be dressed with candy. Of course, I did a lot of the frosting and decorating, but Miller got into it too! I had to restrain myself from wanting everything to look symmetrical. He just cared about the candy sticking, not what it looked like.

There were a few bumps along the way. The iced roof didn't dry all the way and it ended up sliding down the walls looking more like Hansel & Gretel's condemned house. All in all, it turned out pretty cute!

Without further delay, I present to you Miller's gingerbread creation 2009.

3 comments:

The Thrashers said...

So cute!! Looks like fun! And that book looks adorable...I'm going to be on the lookout for it!

The Cibulas said...

I love it! What a great idea. You HAVE to let me know where you got the G'bread house...J needs a little Mommy and Me activity.

The Fokens Family said...

Publix had them and sold out... I searched high and low. I found this one at Walmart.
I'd love to see if Jack is paticular about his candy placement;)
~E