Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Take Home Chef




I thought I should beef up the posts and add some interest to our family other than our beloved Miller. I don't think I give Landon enough props for all the hard work he does around here, especially in the kitchen. We often joke that we "job share" cooking. He's very flattering when he says that we share it 40/60...it's more like 70% Landon to my humble contribution of 30%.

Tonight fell into the 70% category. Landon just so happened to whip up a fabulous fall Pumpkin with Shrimp & Lime soup. He doesn't take the shortcuts like mia the lazy chef. He went throught the whole hoop-la of carving the pumpkin and getting out the meat. I must say that all your efforts paid off tonight and even Miller gave the gourmet soup his stamp of approval with a rousing bravo of "Mmm!" & "more". We're so blessed to have you as our own "Take Home Chef". What ever would I do without your cooking?

Pumpkin Soup with Shrimp and Lime:
6 cups peeled pumpkin, cut into cubes
3 leeks, white part only, cleaned and chopped
4 cups vegtable stock
1 t salt
1/4 t freshly ground pepper
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 c whipping cream
8 oz. cooked shrimp
6 cherry tomatoes (for garnish)
2T pumpkin seeds (garnish)
Finely chopped cilantro (garnish)

In slow cooker, combine pumpkin, leeks,stock, salt& pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hrs until pumpkin is tender.
Strain vegtables, reserving stock. In a blender or food processor, puree' veggies with 1 cup reserved stock until smooth.
If serving hot, return soup to slow cooker and add remaining stock,lime zest and juice,cayenne, cream, and shrimp. Cook on high for 20 minutes until shrimp is heated through.
When ready to serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and add garnish for final touch.
Viola!

Taken From:
The 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes by Judith Finlayson

1 comment:

Erin said...

I am very impressed! And always love recipes so thanks for sharing!