Monday, July 28, 2008

We HEART New York City

We're back from our wonderful trip to NYC! It was a busy, yet exciting trip as there's always so much to do in the city. The weather was beautiful the entire trip with mid 80's and a breeze. It felt like cooler September days in Atlanta.



Our days were jam packed with sightseeing, but I'll try to recap some of the memories and places we ventured. I don't want to bore you with ALL the details. Our hotel was 2 blocks off of Times Square. It was "swanky" as Landon described it. The lobby was modern and fantastic and let's just say that the rooms were cozy and in true NY style....small! Everytime we entered the hotel, they were playing hip music that made you want to dance. And, that's just how Landon entered the doors on numerous occasions! We stayed on the 18th floor, high above the loud city sounds below. Times Square looked just like Piccadilly Circus in London to me...lots of action, huge billboards, lights everywhere, and jam packed crowds.


We toured Central Park, Columbus Circle, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Center. It was neat to see where my favorite morning shows, GMA and the Today's show broadcast from. Did you see me holding the sign?? It said, " We miss you Miller!" Notice how I cropped out the palm trees and umbrella covered tables in Rockefeller Center. It didn't quite look like I imagined from the movies. Then again, it's not November with ice skating in full swing.

Sore feet led us back to the hotel for a little R&R on Thursday afternoon. While relaxing in the lounge, I spotted a familiar face. Blonde, tall, Australian, loves to cook. You guessed it! It was Curtis from TLC's Take Home Chef show with his whole entourage in our hotel lobby. Well, I couldn't introduce myself in my sneaks!! So upon my eager prompting, Landon and I freshened up for dinner and went back down to meet Curtis with camera in hand.Yes...I was THAT girl. I let Landon take the lead and start the conversation while I was star struck in a daze. They talked about cooking etc. He was super friendly and we got a picture for memory purposes. And..guess what girls?? He's coming to Atlanta in October to tape a few shows. Better start dolling up for the grocery store just in case he's at your nearest Whole Foods waiting to cook a meal at your house!!


Other highlights of our NY adventure included touring Ground Zero and visiting St. Paul's Chapel. This is nicknamed "The Little Chapel that Stood". It miraculously survived the plummet of the towers and served as a post to minister to all the relief workers who helped clean up the debris from the ruins. They had a wonderful museum and tribute to those who lost their lives in the towers. We loved eating lunch overlooking the Hudson River in Battery Park ( hot dogs from one of those carts!!) I loved watching all the nannies enjoy playdates at the park with the Statue of Liberty standing tall in the distance. It's all SO different growing up in the city. It made me think of Miller and wonder just what he was up to! Amidst all the hustle and bustle, it felt like we called 2-3 times a day to get the play by play on what Miller was doing. We've both been to Ellis Island before so we nixed the tour but enjoyed viewing Lady Liberty from afar.







China Town and Little Italy were a blast as well...so many sights and smells!! On Friday we ate dinner at the most authentic Italian restaurant in Little Italy. Landon and I enjoyed our tickets to SkyRide, a fast ticket to the top of the Empire State Building. It brought back memories of Sleepless in Seattle. We actually went at night to view all the lights of the city. We were surprised to find out that the Empire State building gets 3,500,00 visitors in a year. Here is a lousy picture from the top. Still learning this camera at night!Let me take this opportunity to give props to Landon...tour guide of the year. It was so nice to shadow him everywhere with his directional sense and street block knowledge. Enjoy my picture of the "Subway & Internal Compass Master of the Year"!





Greenwich Village and SOHO were a lot of fun...quaint and cozy. We enjoyed walking along the streets viewing the booths of artwork and jewelry. Vendors displaying their wares were at every turn. The smell of Gyros overtook our senses and we dined on fantastic local food from one of the tents. I saw on People.com today that Kirsten Dundst was also combing the streets of SOHO the same day we were there. I guess we missed our chance opportunity on that meeting.

On our last night, Landon spoiled me with tickets to Chicago on Broadway. You just can't visit NYC without seeing a show!! The lead Roxie (Katherine Zeta's role) was fantastic and we thouroughly enjoyed the play. It was worth every minute of standing in the TKTS line to purchase tickets.





Later that night, we killed some time before our dinner reservations. Landon thought that this shot made it look like I was on MTV's TRL show. What do you think?
On our "last supper" we dined at one of Landon's faves, Ruby Foo's in Times Square. It was a Pan Asian Infusion restaurant and oh so good! Our window side table allowed us to people watch while we ate. This was another favorite thing to do while in the city. You see so many interesting people & things. It made for interesting conversation and laughs!!


I feel like my pictures don't do our trip justice. Ya'll know the drill on a couple's vacation. You take turns taking pictures of each other in single shots, occasionally reach out and take a picture with your arms stretched, and sometimes get a shot of both of you TOGETHER by hastling a stranger on the street. I just wanted to leave with my camera, so we didn't do too much begging for a together picture!


What a refreshing time. We enjoyed every second of our togetherness. We didn't know what to do with ourselves after SO many date nights alone! Then it finally came time to come home to Miller. I was SO excited to hug and kiss our baby all over. He did wonderfully with all his grandparents. I could write a whole blog about all of his activities while we were away. He was so busy that he barely missed us!! We left NYC with a new appreciation of each other and excitement to plan our next toddlerlesscation. I feel like I'm coming home a better mommy, refreshed, relaxed and ready to enjoy Miller. It all went down without a hitch...thank you Lord!

4 comments:

The Thrashers said...

Glad you had a good time! Looks like it was an action-packed trip. Can't wait to hear more about it.

The Cibulas said...

That sounds like a fabulous trip. I am so happy you two got some couple time. Isn't it nice? And I loved the TRL pic...very clever Landon.

The Morrows said...

So fun!! Makes me anxious to plan our next trip- haha! So glad you two had some fun, relaxing time together!

Heather Dahlby said...

It is a fantastic place . . . I'm so glad you had a great time!! Glad you enjoyed some time together. (But I know it's nice to get home to Miller, too!)