PRESCHOOL has been a big decision for our family all summer long. We, "mainly I" belabored over whether or not to switch Miller man out of his private preschool experience at our church into GA preK. As parents, we're constantly second guessing ourselves when we're guiding these little ones lives. There were pros and cons for both situations. We prayed and I stressed over this direction. It was a miracle that we even "won" the lottery spot. With the popularity of the program, I didn't think our odds of even getting in were favorable. I must say that when we received notification in the mail that the GA preK at our local elementary school was changed from 5 days to 4 days a week, it totally won me over. Suddenly, I didn't feel like I was rushing Kindgergarten on little man to know we'd have our Fridays together this year.
One of the big advantages is the proximity of the school being literally right next door to our neighborhood, the hours in the day, and Miller's across the street neighbor is in his class. Win, win, right?
And then the final confirmation came today when I shook hands with Ms. "C". I knew immediately upon entering her classroom that we were going to click. I love that she's fresh faced and excited about her first classroom after graduating from KSU last year. And, I LOVE that Miller gets to be a part of the memories of her first class! It brought back sweet memories of welcoming my first bunch. She could have not been more friendly and warm to the parents and kids. Her classroom sure did look like a Kindergarten room to me. Special centers were set up & there was a kitchen & a car rug for play. I could see by her schedule of activities that Miller was going to absorb information like a weed this year. Miller loved seeing his cubby with his name on top. Can you handle the cuteness of their photo together? I know Miller is smitten with this special lady.
Another big advantage to this school is its gorgeous new facility. The preschool kids took over the old school building, but many activities are inside the gorgeous new building. It's the size of a high school with two levels inside. Everything is fresh & inviting. We got lost in the hallways trying to find the lunchroom. I made sure to give Miller a practice walk through and show him where he would be eating lunch. Yes, you read that correctly. Miller man is old enough to walk through the lunch line and dine in the cafeteria. Wipe my tears right now. Or, maybe the lunch monitors when they try to keep him contained in his seat for 30 minutes:)
Miller's mouth was wide open when he looked up and saw the high ceilings. He commented that his voice sure did echo in there. I hope he doesn't exercise that right.
Other big decisions were made this weekend . Finding his first bookbag was on the top of the list. I had big dreams & plans for a solid color preppy pack with his initials. Miller had other plans. His big request was a "dragger bookback". Anyone heard of these? We found out that a dragger pack was just his fancy name for a bag on wheels. Seems that he's done his own research with friends on the block. When he spotted Spider Man hanging proudly in Target, he made his selection. I even tried to change his mind, but he was unwavering in his choice. We're definitely in a super hero phase around here.
I did convince him that his pack and his lunch bag HAD to match. That would have driven me nuts all year. Which then led to a Spiderman thermos to go in the lunchbag. I made up the rule that he had to wear the pack on his back in the building at all times so other kids wouldn't trip on the wheels. That sounds like a teacher rule, right?
I did convince him that his pack and his lunch bag HAD to match. That would have driven me nuts all year. Which then led to a Spiderman thermos to go in the lunchbag. I made up the rule that he had to wear the pack on his back in the building at all times so other kids wouldn't trip on the wheels. That sounds like a teacher rule, right?
We've been practicing finding the straps and wearing his pack all weekend. I made sure I coached him where the top loop was for cubby hanging. He's been finding all the pockets to store special things inside. We're going to pack it together tonight. Here's to hoping the first day goes well on Monday! This momma's bringing tissues along, but I'm sure I'll do a little victory dance at home celebrating my new found free time.
2 comments:
sniff sniff.... i CANNOT believe he is so big! i still think of him as that chubby cheeked cutie pie! oh, i hope the first day goes well for you as well as miller!!
sniff sniff.... i CANNOT believe he is so big! i still think of him as that chubby faced cutie pie! i hope his first day and yours goes well!
Post a Comment