Sunday, July 4, 2010

Operation:Independence Day

I can't think of a better way to start off the fourth of July than to thank our military men and women who so bravely serve our country. Miller had the opportunity on Sunday to tour a Black hawk helicopter and military vehicles after church. We rehearsed over and over before walking up to greet the pilot, "Thank you for serving our country." It was too cute to hear him say his gratitude speech.

Miller loved looking at all the gears and the cockpit. I was afraid to have him touch anything for fear of a malfunction upon lift off! The last thing we wanted to witness was a Black hawk down. This was no play helicopter in his toy room.

How thrilling to sit inside the helicopter. Landon even got to climb atop of the Blackhawk and get the royal tour of the jet engines. I don't know who was having more fun on this little tour.
Another highlight was sitting in the military hummer truck. Miller climbed in and out and even pretended to steer this massive truck. He picked up the telephone inside and pretended to make a phone call. It was hard to pull him away from all of his imaginative play.
Miller took the liberty to be safe and wear the spare helmet inside the hummer. He just had to look the part of a real soldier. His white polo didn't stay that way for long. Camouflage would have suited this play soldier best.

The most thrilling part of the morning was observing a real life Black hawk lift-off thirty yards away. We stood street side to watch this big event. I swear Miller's mouth was agape the whole time watching the blades of the helicopter spin faster and faster. The crowd didn't anticipate the great up sweep of wind that the lift off would bring from being so close to the take off.


Miller gave a patriotic send off to his new soldier friends wilding waving his hands and flag. Too bad we lost our festive flags with the huge gust of wind from take-off! Miller can't stop talking about our military touch a truck event. Happy Fourth to you!

1 comment:

The Cibulas said...

I lOVE those pics! I wish you had Miller's gratitude speech on video!