Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Green Eggs & Ham


I spy Miller wearing a sticker that reads," I had a blood test !" Today, I took Miller to Wellstar to get tested for an egg allergy. I've noticed that when I give him a whole egg.... scrambled or hard boiled, he gets an eczema type rash on his chest. I followed all the rules and waited to introduce this protein rich treat until after his first birthday & stuck with all the guidelines and still....a rosy rash!! I am encouraged that he can indulge in foods that have eggs in them so far. He devoured his first birthday cake that had eggs in it. He's all about pancakes (w/out syrup) in the mornings. From time to time he eats a cookie as a treat. Very puzzling....I know!!

I was somewhat dreading taking Miller in for the test. Who wants to spend their afternoon in a doctor's office? In my mind, I pictured a busy waiting room filled with quiet adults waiting to be seen. It's not fun waiting very long with an active toddler. I went armed with graham crackers, a toy car, and his sippy. It's so true that 99% of what we worry about never happens. And, in this case, we were the only ones in the waiting room and we were seen right away.


Miller was such a big boy when the lab technician drew his blood. He sat on my lap unaware of just what was going down. They tied a baby sized turnicate around his upper arm. While they anxiously searched for a vein, Miller resisted his arm confinement. No such luck on the right arm. Luckily, within a few seconds of searching on the left arm, sweet success. Miller wimpered and turned down that lower lip when the needle went in, but tried so hard to contain his cries. I envisioned screams of terror, but was pleasantly surprised when Miller handled himself so well. He was delighted with his 2 big boy stickers from surviving the event. Now, we'll just have to wait 7 days to find out the results. If the results are negative, I think we'll celebrate over green eggs and ham!

4 comments:

The Cibulas said...

Oh no Miller. Keep us posted on the outcome!

The Thrashers said...

Poor little guy. That is so pitiful. Glad he was a big boy about it though. Let us know what the results are!

The Morrows said...

I pray that he doesn't have an egg allergy! I definitely know first hand about that! But it's a good sign that he can eat cake, etc. Let us know!

The Campbells said...

We'll be hoping for the best. Glad you made it through the bloodtest without too much hassle.