Thursday, June 26, 2014

Dolphin Swimmer

School was still in session while we were hopping back into swim practices in the afternoons. Miller signed up for his second summer season of swim team in our neighborhood on the 8U team. He continues to love swimming. And,  I love the routine of summer practice at our pool every morning. The added social time with his neighborhood pals is a great incentive to exercise. With 2 kids in swimming lessons, I could have literally been at practice every morning in June. We worked out a little boys/girls carpool system to switch kids all around so one sibling could have a playdate built in while the other sibling practiced.
Our first meet was an away meet at Chadd's Walk. Miller's first away meet ever. We only participated in the home meets as a rising first grader last summer.  Miller obsessed over the depth of the deep end as the meet got closer and closer. It's not like Miller to have fears, but one of his phobia's is unknown water depth. He got over it, and we wouldn't let him give up. 

He swam in 3 events. Thunder was clapping in the distance so there was a 30 minute delay. Miller's last event {number 78} was spent doing backstroke towards the deep end in an unknown pool in the dark of night. Only the pool lights illuminated his moves. His comment when he crawled out of the pool was ," How'd I do? I was too busy looking at all those stars to hear you shout my name." "Who was cheering for me?" Gotta love his need for affirmation:)

While his back stroke started off a little rusty, we polished it over the weeks with private afternoon lessons. It's by far his best stroke. He did work hard on it and finished first place in his heat quite a few meets.

It's all about the concession stand snacks. Smoothie King was rated his favorite treat at home meets.

Sharpie tattoos got these three in the dolphin spirit. I love the green space at our pool..it's perfect for pre meet chasing games and shenanigans. The little sisters were on the pre competitive team again this year, but were only spectators at the meets.


These cuties met their candy quota waiting out the meets.
Swimmers take you mark...
I love watching his push off the blocks for backstroke.
Chin up, goggles up, rainbow arms. We loved seeing Miller develop this season.

Yeah-That right there is my tattoo artistry skills drawing a dolphin. I can't help that my client is one wiggly dude:) Someone needs to invent a stencil:)

The pre competitive group had a practice meet one morning. I wasn't until the very last week of swim that Eliza Kate mastered swimming longer lengths out on her own.



These dudes were so proud to earn their trophies. The awards party didn't disappoint the dolphins. We capped off the season at the club with a catered BBQ dinner.
Check out the Cokes {gasp} that Miller schmoozed his way into. It's only once or twice a year that I allow this obnoxious amount of sugary calories to enter Miller's bloodstream. He's high on life without caffeine.

I must add that I was ready to wrap up our season and sail into July. But, we're so happy that we conquered another successful summer of swim team.

No comments: