Thursday, January 31, 2013

we've moved

One of these blog posts I will have to share the journey to our new home--the very long journey that tried my patience at times. God certainly knew what he was up to, the broken contract on our Islandora home, the numerous showings with young children, packing, the unknown of kindergarten placement for Miller, living with my parents, the all consuming weight of house hunting, the waiting, networking with homeowners about to list and the longing of missing our own nest. He saw it all--the big picture. I just might have broken down in tears a time or two. One thing's for sure, it was a lesson in total faith for our whole family. Miller even witnessed God's faithfulness as his one request was a playroom & a playscape. Then, to see it all work out with the tiny details answered in a very personal way was an amazing journey of faithfulness in the eyes of young Miller. He's still saying " Dear God, thanks for our house-we love it" during his prayers at night. I firmly believe that even his new teacher was handpicked just for our guy!
--------------------------------------
Reflecting back to the craziness of January for our family brings back the familiar feeling of being frazzled. Those were our very first days in our new home.There really was humor in the whole situation of when it all did work out for us to move it was the absolute worst time for me. Another lesson in giving up complete control for my timing. I haven't quite recovered yet. When I committed to the supply teaching position late last summer--I had no inkling that my start date would just so happen to fall on our exact moving day. There was absolutely no way around pushing our move in date up as the buyer had a corporate move. So, we just rolled with it . Of course, we had so much help to rally around us. In a way, all of the dirty work had been completed back in late July. All of our boxes were sealed in storage just waiting to be unpacked. Landon coordinated the movers, the cleaning crew, childcare etc. while I was teaching my heart out. I had no time to get involved in the details. I'm so glad I liked the furniture placement:)
Our Miller had to change schools & his daddy delivered him fresh faced & bright eyed to a new classroom after Christmas break. I texted Landon during my planning to get the scoop. When I found out, a classmate was our neighbor..I was instantly at ease. Miller was welcomed so warmly. His teacher emailed me daily updating me on his transition. I knew he would be resilient and make new friends easily--it was just the mommy guilt killing me that I couldn't walk him to his class on the first day.

 It was an adjustment all around for even Eliza Kate. She thought that our new house was Omi & Papa's house for the first few months as they practically ran the show for us while I was a full time working momma. Grandmama drove our missy to preschool and cared for her on the off days. It was all hands on deck. There were mornings I couldn't find socks for the kids. What box did I pack the lunchboxes in? It was all so overwhelming...those first days in our home.
Meals were delivered for several weeks & little acts of service were so appreciated. We did survive those 8 weeks and slowly got our Fokens groove back. The lunchboxes were located too:)
Miller was a little disappointed in his Thomas the Train room. I did want to snap a quick pic of such artistic talent for memory's sake.The former owners had children our exact ages with opposite genders--the exact flip flop of our family. The mural was in fact too babyish for our grade school aged boy:) We assured him that paint would do the trick.
Leaving you with our own little AFHV outtake that Miller is so proud of. Our kid's had the best time with all the boxes left behind.
Stacking games, hide outs, & bike stunts kept them entertained for awhile while we got everything settled.

2 comments:

The Stinson Family said...

Hi friend! Congrats on your new home! I hope you guys are adjusting well after the move. I know that it being such a perfect house for Miller has helped you tremendously, though. Just remember that everything doesn't have to get done all at once. It is a process; which makes it fun along the way, too! ;)

The Cibulas said...

Congratulations on your new home Fokens family! What a blessing at the end of a long journey.