Tucked away in storage from last spring's neighborhood consignment sale were these fun Bob Books from Scholastic. I managed to dig through a few bins and locate complete Sets 1 & 2 with 12 books in each series. I'm so glad I snagged these treasures as Miller is ready to enjoy them now. Inside the books came vowel pattern sticky notes from a former kindergarten teacher's reading group...score! Long winter afternoons led me to start hunting around for new resources to use with our budding reader. We started with short vowel patterns, beginning sounds and three letter words. The short "a" sound is a great place to start.
Meet Sam, Mat, and Cat.... the first characters to get lifted off the page into Miller's reading vocabulary. These main figures get introduced again in Book 2. It is such a confidence builder as an emerging reader for Miller to read books on his own level with words he can decode on his own. The short sentences and phrases in the book repeat and build with each new page. Love this!
I hear there are Bob apps out there too for beginning readers. I'm going to have to check those out. I really like taking the traditional hard copy route to start out with. I'm the traditionalist that likes the "hold it in your hands" reading experience. I want Miller to know how to maneuver the book correctly, turn real pages and follow the left to right reading pattern. Once he is well on our way to becoming a fluent reader, I might integrate the app.The sky's the limit, Miller man!
So without further adieu....
Forgive the video quality...couldn't find the HD setting in time to capture Miller's eagerness to read the book!
Sure, he has one miscue (Mat for Sam) & a repetition, but with practice he'll build his fluency. His self correction by re-reading cracks me up. And, going back into the book to search for that last page reading "the end" made me silently laugh! I am loving this new literacy adventure with my reader. A whole new world is out there for him & it's exciting!

2 comments:
how exciting!!! congrats miller : )
Absolutely Amazing and Precious! I just ordered Jack some Bob books...we've got to get crackin'!
Post a Comment